Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Justification.

I spoke with Sarah, the cellist for Murder By Death, last night. She really enjoyed my story based on "Brother". She pointed out a couple of metaphors from my prose that she liked, and then told me that she thought the whole story was very clever, because I'd taken all the scenes from the song and incorporated it into the story so smoothly. All in all, it was a rather glowing review, and we talked about my work and writing in general for a little while.

I mentioned possibly doing a collaborative project with the band, and she wants to talk more about it. I'm so excited and pleased. I've been thinking about writing a series of stories inspired by the songs on their album Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them? and I've already begun the first piece. If nothing else, this is a great writing fantasy to have.

Putting that magazine in her hand and getting positive feedback on my work is one of the most significant moments I've had in my writing career so far. A lot of hard work was justified. 

On another note - and I know I've been keeping these entries short so I won't go on forever - First New Writers' meeting is tomorrow. I submitted the first twelve pages of the novel for review. Wonder what the new group will have to say?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Positive feedback is important to our writing. I've had a similar dream, to write stories based on an album. Awesome that you are doing it!!

Arlee Bird said...

Those are the kinds of connections that serious writers need to make. Creative thinking can certain help a career.

Lee
Tossing It Out