Tuesday, August 31, 2010

KillerCon!

KillerCon was a great first-time conference experience. Absolute aces. I made amazing new friends, networked, got my name out there. I passed out business cards. I befriended the editors of at least three horror markets. I met so many writers... artists who inspire and astound me, new names on the playing field, experienced authors who had plenty of advice to offer - it was just a matter of asking.

KillerCon had a lot to offer, and here's a little bit about the different aspects of the conference:

Panels - Nine panels were offered at this year's KillerCon. There was a great variety of topics, from women in publishing to shapeshifters in horror fiction. Informative and interesting, and they offered the chance to ask questions and add to the conversation on most panels, as long as there was time. I took some great notes on the query letters and screenwriting panels, and I will post those here later in the week, if you're inclined to know my thoughts.

Prose - Between panels, writers read from their works. I listened to amazing prose from Brian Lumley, Adam Pepper, Michael Louis Calvillo, John Skipp, Cody Goodfellow, and Tananarive Due. It was a thrill to listen to these authors and have the opportunity to ask them questions about their work and their careers. There wasn't a single boring or bad reader and I wish I'd had the opportunity to sit in on every single reading there was.

Pitch - My pitch session was with an established horror agent, and it went really well. He seemed impressed with my concept, and asked for the first few chapters of my novel, plus a synopsis. He also asked for an excerpt featuring the monster of the novel, once he found out what the monster was. Hell of a nice guy; he set me at ease immediately and we had a real conversation that lasted much longer than the initial pitch session was supposed to - we talked for half an hour or so instead of the customary ten minutes.

Parties - After ten and eleven hour days of working, it was time to party. I had a great time mingling with everyone and talking about a little bit of everything, from writing to books, music, movies, and moonshine. Anything under the sun (and some things that aren't) came up over the two nights we had together. Saturday evening never ended for me, because a group of us stayed up forever - no kidding, three of us never went to bed. It was fulfilling to spend time with other writers - people who understand who I am and where I am in this process of crafting my career. And it was effortless. I clicked immediately with several people, and I'm looking forward to discovering and developing those friendships.

Particulars - The staff was dedicated to making sure everyone had something to take away from the experience. They had a snafu with the original conference hotel on the first day, but they worked hard to overcome the difficulty and make sure everyone was accommodated. The Stratosphere was a stellar hotel for a convention. The KillerCon attendees were welcoming and happy to talk with me, and I made a lot of new friends this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing most of them again at KillerCon 3, if not at World Horror Con in 2011.

Them's the basics. Now - I know you've got questions, kids. Lay 'em on me. I'll be posting more this week on the panels I attended, and I had some really great ideas for an upcoming contest and a blog hop, too. I missed y'all and am glad to be back; now it's time to get to work!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! And a GREAT breakfast we had Saturday/Sunday! So glad you're as awesome as you are. See you in Austin!

R.J.

Private said...

Sounds fantastic! Wish I could've been there:)

ggray said...

Wow! It sounds better than you even hoped for. An extended pitch session - that says a lot for your novel and how you pitched it. You hooked him in and he hasn't even seen your incredible style yet. I'm so thrilled you had such a fulfilling experience, heard such good authors and met others in your field. You're on your way, now! Congrsts!

ggray said...

Wow! It sounds better than you even hoped for. An extended pitch session - that says a lot for your novel and how you pitched it. You hooked him in and he hasn't even seen your incredible style yet. I'm so thrilled you had such a fulfilling experience, heard such good authors and met others in your field. You're on your way, now! Congrsts!

Sarah Ahiers said...

ooh sounds like you had a lot of fun! The pitch session sounds awesome

Bailey Hunter said...

It was a real pleasure to meet you, Becky. Oh and thanks for staying up with us ALL NIGHT LONG on Saturday. ha ha. Loads of great conversation and so happy you got so much out of your first con. That really is important since they are a place to network the heck out of yourself.
Looking forward to seeing you at the WHC 2011 in Austin and of course at KillerCon 3 next year.

Bailey

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome the pitch session went so well. I assume you've already sent him what he requested? And cool you got to hear John Skipp.

Hart Johnson said...

I am so thrilled this was so great for you! Sounds like a perfect mix, and HUZZAH! On the pitch! I know you don't want to hear this, but I bet your Clark Kent job and the setting up of promotions and events helped with your confidence and salesmanship there. (gotta take all the steps in the journey, you know). I'm really looking forward to hearing more details and I hope you land the agent!

Martel said...

Great to meet you, Becky. I hope you will be able to make WHC 2011. Or let me know if you're ever in the greater Chicago area :)

Martel

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds fantastic!! The pitch session itself sounds like it was worth the price of the trip :)

Ella said...

I am so happy, it turned out so well!
I knew you would shine; Just had to get over those nerves! I want to hear more...
Congrats on surpassing the 10min...way to go~

J. said...

Becky!!!

Was good meeting you and sharing bourbon. Anytime you are up around the CT area let me know, you are more than welcome in my household (besides I usually have some good bourbon,beer, and music on hand).


-j.

Arlee Bird said...

Sounds like a great event filled with some real oppotunities to offer. And after all Las Vegas is billed as the city that never sleeps, although I'm never able to meet that challenge when I go there. I guess you had a good reason to stay up though.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Hannah said...

I'm intrigued about this pitch session. Was it available to everyone??

Sounds like you had a great time!!