Saturday, April 2, 2011

Better Be Sure.

If you're going to spend your life carving out stories, hewing words into images - like searching for the perfect shape within a chunk of obstinate wood...

...you better be damn sure it's what you really want.

Being a writer ain't easy, folks. It's demanding. We're in touch with a deeper part of the universe than most people around us. We live hard, love passionately, and above all, cherish that perfect moment when the words meet in a design which seems nearly divine - the elemental second where we lose ourselves in the river of creative energy we've tapped into and become more than what we are for a blissful, stunning instant.

That's power. It comes with a responsibility... and consequences, if you don't pass muster when the day is done. You better think about that. Think about what it means.

If you don't, you're as clueless as a monkey trying to piece together Shakespeare.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure. I'm doing fiction for all my A-Zposts :)

The Words Crafter said...

Monkeys and Shakespeare, cool :)

Wise words, and I love that tiny moment, too!

Jemi Fraser said...

So true - it's hard to be a writer but I'd never choose otherwise!

Laura S. said...

Heehee, love the pondering monkey! It makes me think of this quote: “We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

Hahaha!

Ella said...

Primate prose huh, makes food for thought! This one will make me ponder... It is grammar that I need to work on, it is my Achilles heel~

Fun to read and thought provoking...
I jumping ahead to P.

Myne said...

That's a cool picture, lol. And I agree with you, have to be totally sure.

Tara Tyler said...

or at least have a Backup plan? good B pst. happy B day!

Arlee Bird said...

It ain't monkey business, that's for sure. Though sometimes I feel like that monkey looks.


Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during challenge I will not be doing so during April. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
Thanks.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge