Sunday, April 24, 2011

Ten Reasons You Should Start Your Novel (Or short story, or screenplay, or other artistic endeavor)

1. You're not getting any younger.

2. It's high time you proved the naysayers (especially the ones in your head) wrong.

3. You're obligated as a creative person to listen to what the Universe has to say, and to report back on what you've heard.

4. Only you can tell us your particular piece of the vision.

5. You might write the Next Big Thing and become rich and famous and be able to give me a grant because you read this list and it inspired you to write and you want to express your gratitude.

6. You get to answer the question "What do you do?" with "I'm a novelist." When the questioner looks impressed (and if they don't you should just walk away), follow it up with a nice, satisfying, "Yeeaaaahh, I'm working on a new novel right now."

7. Chicks think being articulate is sexy. Seriously, I'm not kidding. Well... okay, the chicks you should be interested in think being articulate is sexy.

8. Writing is an introspective, self-involved trade, and it will teach you a lot about yourself... which will eventually lead to better emotional and mental health.

9. Finishing a novel is one of the most amazing rushes you'll ever experience. But before you finish one you have to start one.

10. You really do have time to do this. You're just making excuses because you're scared of failing. Well, cut it out. You're amazing. Seriously. Stop being so hard on yourself, stop doubting that creative whisper in your heart and give in.

You'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

Liz P said...

I have to remind myself of #10 all the time. Isn't there a saying, "now is always the best time" ? Or to quote Nike, "Just do it".

Great list.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like #5!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Beginning is most of the battle.

H-Bomb said...

This was cool. Now I'm thinking about revisiting my novel-in-progress...even though I can't possibly imagine anyone being very interested in a semi-autobiographical story involving a band doomed to fail. Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno'.