Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Voice, Validated

It's difficult at times to block out everything but that little voice in our minds that wants to tell a story.

"I've got bills to pay," your brain grumbles, "the kitchen to clean, laundry to do, kids to run around after... my God, is it already that time?! I have to call the repair shop before five!"

Life gets in the way. Okay. That happens with everybody. But for just a few minutes today, stop and listen to that voice in your head.

You know the one I mean. That voice, the one that makes you look at cloud-shapes in the morning sky on the commute into work and think of what they could be. The voice that makes you wonder - when you see an airplane painting a long white stripe across the sky - who those people are up there, and where they're going, and what they're thinking. The voice that makes you stop and stare for a second when a particular shade of deep purple jumps out of a nearby sign. The voice that makes you look around at the stoplight, thinking about the people around you in their vehicles, living their lives in their sterile little car-aquariums. 

That voice. You know which one I mean. It talks a lot, if you listen to it. And the more you listen, the more it talks.

Now here's a revelation:

It's YOUR voice. And it's a valid one. 

Give it an ear.

2 comments:

Victoria Dixon said...

Great post. So true. I'm incredibly guilty of telling that voice I'll listen to it when...

No wonder I'm having difficulty with the new WIP!

SharleneT said...

I think it's because we've been raised to think everyone's ideas but ours are more important and it's hard to validate our own. Good post and a time to rethink our views.

Hello, fellow A-Z Challenger! Here's my latest entry. Come visit either of my blogs when you can and leave some comment love:

V is for Virtuosity and the Virtual Piano http://bit.ly/hBYZmI

http://www.mainstreamsolarcooking.com
http://www.rockinchairreflections.com (A-Z)
Twitter: @SolarChief